Now this is a story all about how…
Yes, we love Fresh Prince! And that’s the best way to start a happy-ending story, righhht? So this is how my “Fresh Prince of Exeter” made me the happiest girl alive.
- He kept it simple – Although Charly proposed on our “monthiversary” date, I still didn’t see it coming! It seemed normal enough that we made plans to go for dinner after work to celebrate. So I was just my plain-looking self on a Thursday, clock-watching at work so we can start our evening. I should have known when he said he’s “picking me up” that this was no ordinary date… He’s never picked me up from work, let alone come in and meet my boss!
- He kept his cool – So because I was so oblivious to everything, I was just going on about my day while he led me to a “restaurant he found online”. I sensed something was unusual, couldn’t quite tell, but in hindsight I realised it was the nerves keeping him quiet while I blabbered on!
- Everything was a mystery – We just kept walking… Probably got lost at some point trying to find the place, but I couldn’t ask questions or help at this point haha! Me being me, I looked across the street we were on and saw a cool looking building. I pointed it out and he gave me the weirdest look, grabbed my hand and started walking towards it. By now I’m thinking, “oh no, I feel bad, we don’t need to see what the cool building is let’s continue with what you had planned“, but we still go in.
- Wait, what? – This building turns out to be a cafe/restaurant looking vibe! But that’s not even the weird part. When we get in, this “Fresh Prince” already has a reservation there. Now I’m like whoa, that was a weird coincidence…
- More mystery – By now I’m just lost and confused, and the lady there asks me if we want to start with a drink downstairs or go up already. I’m blank, like, I dunno! So she leads us to a staircase and says just walk up to the top someone will be waiting for you there. This part was even new to Charly because he’s never been there before and didn’t tell them what was happening.
- Oh, it’s a rooftop place – Now I’m like distracted by how cool this place is and totally forgot how weird everything in the last hour or so had been. Easey’s is a “Cool burger joint in a converted train with retro decor, plus a graffitied lounge bar and cafe area.” So I was fascinated and thought, nice “monthiversary” choice. And so Melbourne!
He wanders off – Such unusual behaviour that night! Now that I think about it, he was either going to propose or it was some kind of fancy way to break up?! Anyway, he just disappeared to the bar in a way he doesn’t normally do. I was still too distracted to piece anything together, but by now had decided to steer the conversation into finding out if he was ok, had a rough day perhaps? Why so serious?!
More blabbering and then – He comes back with two glasses of bubbly, and we just drink to another month together and continue talking (mostly me). Mid-sentence about nothing, he says “I Love you“…
- Huh? – I stop talking because that came out of nowhere. I say, “I love you too” and by then he’s fiddling in his pocket. Out comes a box, and in that box a ring, then he’s down on one knee, and I’m probably about to faint. Sidenote info: we had this rooftop area to ourselves so to me it was the most perfect, private, intimate proposal and I could listen to the beautiful speech he’d prepared…
- A raw#BlackDiamond protected by #WhiteGold 😍❣️(read between the lines): I saw the ring, and he started to describe it and the meaning behind it and our relationship. I was mind blown! Didn’t believe what was happening. At the same time, we’d spoken about getting married before. Eloping. So this was just the beginning of our dream which became a micro wedding in Sydney, and as they say, the rest is history!
We had dinner and the night was not over yet. We continued celebrating at Abbotsford Convent. Long story short – why this was so special to me is because I went to a Convent school in Zimbabwe for 13 years and this place looks exactly like it (it was my first time there as well, and so spot-on!). It reminded me of my whole childhood and this part of the night felt like revisiting my past. It brought back overwhelming memories of childhood innocence and happy times. In the present moment, I felt that happy again! What a way to start a future together!